Sunday, June 27, 2010

Week 3: 2 good runs, 1 downright weird run & 1 bonus

Run #7: Redemption 2 miles. I ran the same 2-mile route that gave me such a hard time last week. It's still not an easy route. There are some hills and very little shade. But it was so much easier after a good night's sleep and better hydration. Instead of my usual music, I listened to an audio book. It was an interesting change of pace, but difficult to stay focused. I guess I zone out more than I realized. This was one of the good runs.

Bonus Workout: I've been coming down with a cold, and didn't feel up to running 5 miles on Wednesday morning, but I did feel the need to do something active. So I loaded up my jogging stroller and my baby boy, & headed to my usual running path. We took a leisurely run/walk, about 2.5 miles. I hadn't planned on doing any running at all, but we bumped into my neighbor/running buddy as she was finishing a 5-mile run, and I got inspired by her post-run glow & had to try at least a couple bursts of running. Let me just say: HAT'S OFF to people who run with jogging strollers all the time. That's a really tough workout. My arms were sore the next day!

Run #8: Stop & "Go": This was the afore-mentioned "downright weird" run. On a positive note, I was thrilled to get a sensor holder in the mail for my Nike Plus, so I could start using my beloved Nike-Plus pedometer with my new non-Nike shoes. [Insert Nike-Plus plug here: http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/ ] I decided to calibrate the sensor to be sure I was getting an accurate reading, so I ran one mile using the mile markers on the running path as guideposts. That was part one of my 5-mile workout. I stopped, set my Ipod/Nike Plus for a 4 mile speed interval workout, and started up Part 2. It was super hot, so I ducked into a neighborhood, hoping for some shade. As I turned into the neighborhood, I realized that I really had to Go (not talking about running here). I couldn't believe my luck when I came around a corner and saw a brand new community pool with bathrooms. Of course, they were locked. On to Plan B: this neighborhood backed up to the woods where I go trail running. I paused my workout and gingerly stepped into the dusty, dirty woods in my beautiful shiny new shoes. At least I was able to find some relief there. However, restarting my speed workout after taking a jaunt through the woods was tough. I gave it a try, but about 3/4 of the way through, I stopped. Part 3 of the run: I ditched the speed intervals and just jogged easily for mile 5.
I've been dreading the whole bathroom while running issue, but haven't had to deal with it until this workout. This wasn't even a long run by any stretch of imagination. When I get up to 9-10 mile runs, bathroom stops may be par for the course. I hope the next time nature calls, I will be close to the beach access that has a public restroom. Probably need to plan routes that bring me by there mid-way.
This 3-part run probably took me well over an hour from start to finish, with all the starts and stops. Good thing I didn't have any morning appointments.

Run #9: All smiles. There was nothing particularly special about this 6-mile run. It was hot as usual, there were times I struggled, but overall it was enjoyable. Good tunes, easy pace, great scenery. I finished at a beach access, where I took off my shoes and hosed down my legs with cold water while admiring the still-beautiful Gulf of Mexico. The long runs are my favorite. When I got home, the house was so quiet! My daughter had spent the night with her Nana and great-aunts. My husband and son were still asleep. I took advantage of the opportunity to do a short workout video. Running has been great at slimming me down, but my jeans are getting a little too baggy in the rear. I dug out a great old VHS workout tape that uses ballet moves to really tone & lift the tush. It definitely worked some neglected muscles -- ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment