Tuesday, June 1, 2010

WHY??

For the first 36-plus years of my life, I never really got into fitness. I always wished I had that drive, but there were SO many other things I'd rather be doing.... like getting a root canal. Sure, I'd love to be a size smaller, but not so much that I would be willing to spend a precious hour in the gym three times a week covered in sweat.

Then came 2009, which brought a beautiful baby boy & an unforeseen end to the job that I'd held for the previous 6 years. I wasn't in a position to relocate out of town for a new job and the local job market for real estate attorneys wasn't exactly thriving. So I opened my own law practice. I have learned that being self-employed is wonderfully flexible, but frighteningly unstable.

On New Years Eve, someone suggested that I enter a local 5K race. I would have a little more than two months to train and figured, why not? I NEEDED to accomplish something, anything, at that point. I downloaded the "Couch to 5K" training program, bought a new pair of Nikes, and got started. Then an amazing thing happened: I got hooked. I loved waking up on the mornings that I was scheduled to run. I spent countless hours on my "off days" planning the next run. I became a Running Junkie.

As a mother of two small children, I cherish running as my time to be alone, with nobody asking anything of me other than myself. As an attorney, I cherish running as my time to clear my head and stop stressing about my clients' well-being for a little while. The fact that I've dropped two sizes without changing my diet is an appreciated side effect.

After that first 5K on March 7, I immediately started planning for the next challenge. I ran a 10K on May 1 and I signed up to run the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon (13.1 miles) on October 2. My official training for the half marathon starts on June 7. Thanks for sharing this journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment