Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 3: The Road Less Traveled



I heart trail running. If I could, I would escape to the woods for every run. However, I need to prepare my joints for actual race conditions, and my half-marathon is going to be run on pavement. So my little trail outings are a special treat.
This morning, I hit the trail at 6:15. When I run in the woods, I don't focus on speed. I just enjoy the sights and smells of the pine trees, palmettos and tupelos. I watch the trail ahead for obstacles, usually tree roots or patches of soft sand. There's a little voice in the back of my head that is scared of running into snakes, but I think I get out there early enough that the snakes are still sleeping in their hidey-holes.
Five miles went by, and I wished I could just keep running. You know it's been a good trail run when your feet are this filthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment