Thursday, September 23, 2010

Obsessions

I have a week and a half until my race, and lots of thoughts swirling in my head. I am not nervous about the race, but I find myself thinking about it (okay, obsessing) all the time.

Progress: What a great run yesterday! I ran 13 miles solo. I have been running with a friend for all of my long runs for the past couple of months, and I was beginning to doubt that I had the willpower to do it alone. Also, I had gone 4 days without running, and I was starting to worry that I was going to have trouble slogging through a long run. Yesterday took care of those doubts. I started running at 5:15. It was pitch-black outside, even with a nearly full moon. That was a little scary, so I changed up my route to stay in open areas with more street lights (areas I have been avoiding during the scorching sunlight). At mile 5, I stopped in a gas station to use the restroom and buy a water & power bar. When I emerged, the sun was coming up and I felt comfortable turning on my music. It was like starting a new run. More and more runners began showing up on the path, and it began to feel like the party was starting. I'm happy with the pace I maintained, finishing in 2:08. My race goal was 2:10, and I beat that without race-day adrenaline or outside motivation. It was so empowering!

Now onto the girly stuff: I have been obsessing on what to wear for my race. I have spent HOURS online looking up running clothes, but the cute stuff is just so expensive, and I have a hard time justifying a big purchase in this economy. I've been hoping that something I like will go on sale. Unfortunately, I have learned that when stuff goes on sale, the selection is size XXS or XL. There's a running store about 30 minutes away that had some beautiful stuff a few months ago, but they, too, have little to choose from in my size right now. I went to the Nike outlet on Sunday and thought I'd found something acceptable: hot pink shorts with a gray & hot pink sports bra. However, when I wore them on the above run, I learned two important things: (1) when you sweat in shorts that are anything other than black, it looks like you wet your pants, and (2) when you sweat in a light gray top, it becomes see-through. Back to square one. I may have to break the bank on this one.

Fuel: I have obsessed over what to eat & drink when running. Here's what I have found: I adore Smart Water. It has the electrolytes my body needs, and it is readily available and icy cold at any convenience store I may pass while training. Refreshment at its finest. Food has been tougher. I've tried Gu, Sports Beans, Power Bars, FRX, Fig Newtons, fruit chews, etc. The Power Bars have given me the best results (energy without stomach upset) but they taste a little like chocolate-flavored cardboard.

Next obsession (drum roll, please): The New Orleans Mardi Gras Rock n Roll Marathon! 26.2 miles of fun on February 13, 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment