Friday, August 27, 2010

What makes a good run?

I have now completed 3 double-digit runs, the most recent being an 11-mile trek on Sunday with my running partner. It was tough at times (the last mile was uphill with no shade and seemingly neverending), but overall it was a good run.

While we were stretching out our tired legs, we agreed that the 11-mile run had been easier than our previous runs that week. My previous run was supposed to be 8 miles, but I quit at 3.5 miles and ended up coming back to run another 5 an hour later. The same thing happened to me yesterday on a scheduled 6.5 mile run. At 3.5 miles, I just didn't feel like running anymore and there was a storm rolling in, so I cut it short. Unlike last week, though, I didn't ever get out and finish the last 3 miles. I can't explain what happened on either of those runs. I just didn't feel like finishing, and I was running a "figure-8" route that took me past my car at 3.5 miles, so it was easy to quit.

I have grown to enjoy my short 2-mile runs. It is easy to get out the door and hit the pavement, knowing I'll be done in 20 minutes or less and still have a good workout. I don't have to prepare for those runs in any way. I anticipate my long runs all week, and I prepare. I hydrate, I watch what I eat, I plan out my route, I load my I-Pod with good tunes, and if I am lucky I have company. Those runs are an accomplishment, especially since I've been increasing my mileage.

So my goal for the next few weeks is to make my mid-length runs an Event. First, I have to stop running that figure-8 route so it's not easy to stop mid-run. Next, I need to focus on hydration the day before the run. It's a subtle thing, but a hydrated body is a happier body. Maybe a good audio book. Definitely a reward for myself when I complete that next medium run, like a chai latte or a new running tank.

I've got about 5 weeks until the race, and mediocre runs aside, I feel ready. I could get out and run 13.1 tomorrow, so I feel like the next month is just going to make me stronger. I'm even contemplating a full marathon in February...

No comments:

Post a Comment