Monday, August 9, 2010

Weeks 8 & 9: Some highs and lows

The past two weeks have been hectic. I've been doing some contract work for another attorney, which has involved a lot of driving to meetings, usually early morning. I guess it's a preview of what life would be like if I had a regular job instead of being self-employed. Fitting in an early morning run has been challenging.

Week 8 was an eventful running week. I didn't get my first run in until Wednesday, a 6-mile run that I desperately wanted to cut short for some reason. I pushed through it, which felt really good. One of the things that makes running so rewarding is that there are always challenges to overcome, but they can be wrapped up in a comparatively short time. My next run was on Saturday, a 3.1 mile race to benefit the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge. It was a brutally hot race, and I pushed myself too hard in the first half. I had to stop and walk twice, but I was able to sprint the last stretch. My time wasn't my best, and I was really disappointed for a little while. Then I got to watch my 8-year-old neighbor run in the one-mile kid's run. She has been inspired by watching her mom fall in love with running, and this was her first race. She placed second overall out of the girls, which turned my mood around. At the awards ceremony, another treat was that her mom (my running partner) ended up placing third in our age division, so they got to take home two medals. My final run was supposed to be a 9.5 mile run, which I scheduled for the day after the race (probably not the best idea). I miscalculated my route and ended up running a little over 10 miles. Strangely, it was an easier run than the short race the day before. I was slow but steady, and I planned out my hydration stops very well. After that run, I came home and took an ice bath. It actually felt great. My first double-digit run was a much-needed accomplishment.

Week 9 was another recovery week. After the race and 10-miler, I was ready for a break. My quads were sore for days after that weekend. But by the middle of the week, I was desperate for a challenge. The four-mile jogs fit into my unusually busy schedule, but they weren't long enough for me to really get lost in the motion. I can't wait for my 11-mile run at the end of week 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment