Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 17: Chickamauga Marathon Training

With less than a week before race day, I am excited, anxious, and moody. Easing off running means my body isn't getting its usual dose of endorphins, and folks around me are noticing! In a perfect world, I would take the entire week off pre-marathon and live like a hermit to avoid pissing anybody off. In reality, it will be a challenging week but it could be worse. I am only working Monday through Wednesday this week, then we hit the road Thursday. I will bring a book and earplugs -- hopefully that will keep me from yelling at my husband, kids, and dog during the 8-hour car trip.

At the end of Week 17, I have logged a total of 547.76 miles training for this race. This cycle has been heavy on marathon-pace miles, strong finishes, and speedwork, but somehow I made it through without feeling constantly sore, tired, or hungry. I feel very strong and I think I am capable of surprising myself on Saturday. I just need to trust the training, and silence the voice inside my head that will tell me that I can't do this.

Week 17 was an easy week of taper. My training plan had three easy runs, plus an optional easy fourth, which I did not run.

Tuesday: For the first time ever, I went to a group run at a running store about 30 minutes from home. This was a big step out of my comfort zone. I recognized a few faces from local running events, but I didn't actually know anyone there. I arrived a few minutes after the run was supposed to start, and most of the other runners had started even earlier to avoid running after sundown. There were two other runners behind me in the beginning, but they turned around earlier than me, so I was the last to finish. It was a good run, but I was a little disappointed that I didn't make any new friends. Next time, I'll just have to try to get there earlier. Summary: 5 miles (pace uncertain, because my Garmin didn't pick up a signal until a quarter-mile into the run).

Thursday: I met up with my running buddy, and we discussed marathon pacing strategies. I went home feeling ready to conquer this thing. Summary: 6.88 miles at 9:30 per mile.

Saturday: My last double-digit run! Following my running buddy's advice, I planned to run this using the same pace strategy as I will for the race, only slower. I did fine holding back the first mile, but I had a hard time reeling it in the second mile and ran way too fast. This happened throughout the run. My pace was all over the place. Once I hit ten miles, I gave up and slowed way down to just enjoy the pretty day. Overall: 11.04 at 9:34 pace.

Ready as I'll ever be. My next entry will be a race review.

No comments:

Post a Comment