Monday, August 5, 2013

Marathon Training -- Week 4

I'm going to start with the last run -- it tested my body and mind like nothing has in a long time. My scheduled run was 13 miles with a strong finish. However, I missed last week's long run, which at 15 miles seemed like a more important workout to attempt. The plan said to run the middle 5 miles at my goal marathon race pace. Race-pace miles are new to me. In the previous training plans I've used, all of my long runs were at a slow, easy pace. Part of me was dreading the race-pace miles, but when I look at it logically, my goal marathon race pace falls within the faster end of my prescribed "easy" pace range, so it shouldn't be that intimidating. In fact, I averaged faster than marathon race pace in 3 out of the 4 training runs I had earlier in the week, including one at nearly 7 miles. Still, I'm always a little nervous about the unknown...

I got started at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday. According to my weather app, it was already 85 degrees with a heat index of 95. I tuned into a "This American Life" podcast, ran 2.5 miles west, then turned around to run 2.5 miles back to my car, where I had a nice icy bottle of water waiting. I like to break my long runs up into smaller segments -- it's a great mental help. Those first 5 miles were relatively slow and easy.

I eased into the race-pace miles with some upbeat music and headed east for 5 miles. Right now, my goal race pace is 9:14 per mile (hoping that cooler temps will let me push that a little faster in the fall). I easily kept the pace at 9:05 - 9:10 for the first 3.5 miles, thinking if I could do it in this heat, I'd have no problem come November. I struggled a little over the last 1.5 miles, but held the pace under 9:14. Still a good run, and at this point, I was looking forward to an easy pace for the last 5 miles, so I turned around to head west again.

I was feeling pretty beat up after the middle 5 miles, and I realized that I was completely drenched. It was overcast so it didn't seem THAT hot, but I looked like I had gone swimming in my clothes. I stopped at a convenience store to buy a cold drink, and found myself craving a sweet tea. Probably not a good idea, but I bought it, and it was delicious. Less than a mile later, I tripped over my own feet and almost fell. I was so drained that I took a few walk breaks, stopping my timer each time because I wanted to get in a full 15 miles of real running. Eventually, I decided not to push too hard, and let the timer keep ticking when I needed to walk. I just wanted to get those last 5 miles in, even if I had to crawl. I stopped to sit down once, checked the weather, and the heat index was up to 100 degrees. It was a relief to know that it wasn't just me being a wimp. I made it to the end, mostly running, with another convenient store stop, this time for cold water. Heat index was up to 102 by the time I finished, and it wasn't even 8:30 in the morning yet!

The bad news -- that run kicked my butt. The good news -- it would take a serious anomaly of nature to have a 102 heat index on race day. The mental challenges of this run aren't too different from the ones I typically hit in the last 4-5 miles of a marathon. Might as well get toughened up now -- physically and mentally. Overall, I averaged 9:52 per mile -- that's with 5 miles at 9:10, so those last 5 were really really slow. I don't want to know exactly HOW slow yet, I'll check my Garmin splits eventually.

The rest of the week was a mixed bag:

Monday: Still kicking myself from missing my long run the weekend before, and dreading yet another crazy day in the office. Monday morning's easy run wasn't so easy after all. I'm pretty sure I took some walk breaks -- I honestly can't remember. I didn't keep track of my pace. Some days are just like that. 4.6 miles.

Tuesday: Tempo Tuesday is usually good for a kick in the pants. I was still struggling with work pressure, and this run helped a little. Tempo pace ranged between 8:18 and 8:24 per mile, and the last couple of tempo miles were tough. I finished my last tempo interval just before I got to the biggest hill on my route -- YES! I was not looking forward to powering up that bad boy. Overall distance and pace: 7.52 miles averaging 8:58.

Wednesday: Seriously, this week isn't getting any easier. What my body needed on this cross-training Wednesday was a soothing massage, but there certainly wasn't any time for that. Instead, I spent about an hour doing some breathing exercises and yin yoga, with a focus on hips, hamstrings, and back. Good for the body and the mind.

Thursday: The boost I needed! I've been truly blessed in having a running buddy who inspires and pushes me. Conversation made the miles roll by quickly. We were sidelined by a storm & had to take a break a little over halfway through, but it helped with the temps. 6.9 easy miles at 9:07 pace.

Friday: An easy run to ease me into the weekend. Good ol' Grateful Dead on the iPhone, plenty of smiling faces on the running path. 4.12 miles at 9:15 pace.

My August training calendar is printed and ready to go on the fridge. First 20-miler is scheduled for August 24! Let's hope it's a little cooler outside that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment