Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Miracle Maybe?

I had my sports massage yesterday for my brand-new, screaming IT band issue, and it was worth the time and money for sure.  The massage therapist was knowledgeable and had lots of experience working on endurance athletes.  She worked out a lot of kinks in my lower back, glutes, and hip flexors (which were particularly vile!).  Told me where and how to tape up my hips.  Told me to listen to my body, don't be afraid to walk, pay attention to my breathing, and I just may be able to go the full 26.2 miles on Sunday.  That made me feel a little better.

Following the massage, I went to the local running store to pick up more tape.  The owner told me she is running Pensacola Marathon on Sunday as well, and that she has been having IT band issues.  She felt confident that foam rolling, taping, rest and a little ibuprofen would do the trick for her.  That made me feel a little better too.

This morning, freshly taped in bright pink and blue from my waist to my knee, I set off for a slow mile around my neighborhood to get a status check.  Other than some mild achiness in my left hip, things felt okay.  That made me feel a little better, but one mile isn't 26.2. 

At lunchtime today, I'm still a little achy.  An ibuprofen would feel good right now.  More than anything, I am scared.  This race was supposed to be the big test of my ability, the first marathon I have run on my own.  My family is supposed to be there, and that's a lot of pressure.  I would not want my children to see me hobbling in pain, and I wouldn't want them to see me quit either.  I think it's entirely possible for me to have a good run, and even a mediocre run could give me a PR.  I may be able to switch my registration and run the half instead, but I'm not sure I want to do that.  I want a good marathon.  I want to overcome something.  I want to push my mind's limits as well as my body's.  I want to do all this without intense pain.  I'll have to make a decision soon.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alison! You won my ring giveaway over at Shut Up and Run! Can you email me your address, ring size and which ring you'd like? beth@shutupandrun.net

    ReplyDelete